Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Catch up! Cause close to my heart (Nov. 13)

Good grief! I'm so far behind on this thing. :( I'm not going to promise that I'll catch up with all of the topics, but I'll try!

Right now, a cause that I'm most interested in is early childhood literacy. It's kind of funny, really. I went to college to be a teacher, never found a teaching job and became a children's librarian. At that point, I kind of thought my true teaching days were over (and I was ok with that), but now we're starting to add more preliteracy skills into our storytimes. We aren't "teaching reading" exactly, but emphasizing areas where children need to grow. And starting to give more parent tips to help them work with their children at home. Of course, the main point of our story times is still going to be pure love of books and fun, but with a little bump up.

No comments: