Monday, July 13, 2009

More about Cataloging

I didn't really mind that most of the questions on that Scavenger Hunt were about the class itself. What I did mind was having to search through a semester's worth of documents searching for the few answers that weren't related to how the class is conducted, having no idea where it may be or really what I was looking for at all. And spending a couple of hours for 1 point... ugh!

The class is fairly miserable. The first week was a bit like doing mega bibliographies where a single misplaced space or punctuation mark could render the whole thing useless. I say again ... ugh! So far, the second week is easier... taking the work from the first week and transferring it into MARC format, which basically is just moving it into a little table in the proper places. I have 3 of the 5 titles done that are due Wednesday afternoon.

Oh well... enough about that for today.

1 comment:

laure :-) said...

MARC tags are good. Years later, it annoys me to no end to have to create item records without them. Rather than having a place for everything, MARC-less records have a limited number of predefined fields and you sort of have to hope it works out. It's better than card cataloging... but i still prefer MARC a lot. (We use the CROSS library system.)